Monday, June 21, 2010

I sat down this weekend to figure out possible summer reading for incoming 8th graders and my mind started to drift back to my days as a student and what summer meant for me. I clearly remember one of the greatest summer experiences for me was our weekly trips to the public library. My mom would pack all four of us into the van and head for the Plumb Memorial Library. Once there we would spend close to an hour picking out books and sitting down and doing some reading while everybody else picked out their reading for the week. When we got back home we would sit around the pool or hang out in the family room reading for the rest of the day. I think these summer trips helped me become a lifelong reader and probably a better student. I would love to hear how people incorporate reading into their summer vacation and I would love to hear about your plans as a reader and writer this summer as well. I will say that I plan on reading the biographies of Grover Cleveland and James Madison. I am also going to write 3 new stories this summer as well.

4 comments:

Dana Kringel said...

Are you going to put posts up occasionally during the summer? Because that would be awesome.
Anyway, I've started reading Troy, which personally I think is really good. During the summer, the best times to read are on slow boring days at noon outside and also during the night getting ready to sleep. (reading at night is the best time year round) occasionally, if you get up really early, reading in the morning is fantastic.
So about once every month my mom and I go on book splurges at the big Borders in Fairfield ( that place is like, my life) and we spend hours in there poring over books and come home with thousands. Over the summer we go almost every two weeks because I actually have time to read them. It's fun.

I plan on writing stories and poetry any chance I can get. There's always room for improvement and I actually enjoy writing (for all you skeptical readers). I might actually post some stories online to fictionpress.com. So if I do, watch for any stories by EnglishStudent101. :) I encourage everyone else to post their writing (any kind, poetry or fiction) on to fanfiction or fictionpress, I would love to read them and there are open comments and I would love to give feedback as well. (I encourage you to put your stories online as well Mr. Horvath. Just rate them M for Mature.:D I didn't forget that I never got to read one.)

I'm excited to do that all this summer.

HEY IF ANYONE HAS READ ANY GOOD BOOKS LATELY, POST THEM HERE!

SHorvath said...

Hope you send those stories to me as well...I will be keeping the blog updated throughout the summer so let people know to keep checking in.

umasslax19 said...

i have read 7 books already. Out of all of them i would recomend the enemy by charlie higson.it was fantastic. The seven book series by james marsden is also really good. Even though i had little room in my suitcase i still decided to buy 3 big hardcovers anyway. Also another book is Little Brother, i read it last summer but never recomended it. The author came out with another book unrelated to little brother but it was not nearly as good

Rachel said...

I'm furiously trying to finish my novel and have an idea for another buzzing around in my head, driving me nuts. Because of all my writing, I'm sad to say that I have been able to read. I haven't even started on Troy, but I can finish that quickly. I am writing some poetry occasionally, but my novel takes up all my time!
~Rachel